Sunday 12 January 2014

things I need to look into for my reading.

Before I muster the courage to post an actual review of something, I thought I'd copy some of my general book notes to this place. This blog is an infant, but if you have somehow stumbled upon this page and have any recommendations for me in any of these categories, I'd be very happy. Thank you!

  • Authors of colour. I don't think I've ever read a book written by a black person, and I've only read Murakami and Mishima out of the Asian authors category. This is a sad oversight indeed.
  • Jewish lit. Unfamiliar territory for me. Two stories by Sholem Aleichem do not a well-read woman make. My ancestors are not impressed.
  • Established classics of various genres. Mostly I am looking into sci-fi, dystopia, post-apocalyptic, fantasy. I've read some, of course, but I figure I still can't call myself a fan of dystopia or science-fiction until I read 1984 or Frankenstein or Asimov.
  • German literature. Completely unfamiliar. I think I can really only name Thomas Mann and Goethe off the top of my head. I can name more French guys.
  • Contemporary Russian writers. I can't find a single book by contemporary Russian authors, aside from occasional mystery book here and there, that I would actually enjoy. I will continue my search. Perhaps the recent programme presented by Stephen Fry will be of help.
  • Scholarly works on Paganism. The modern part of it.
  • Feminism. All I learnt about feminism, I learnt either via a very personal experience of being a woman in a country which has a proverb that compares an unbeaten wife to a house that needs cleaning, or via tumblr and the likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate all comments, but please rest assured that I don't censor them. The only reason your comment might go unpublished is if you're behaving like a troll.