Monday 20 January 2014

It's Monday! What are You Reading? (20 Jan)


I tend to read a hundred books at once (only a slight exaggeration), so I believe this meme will be quite fun to participate in. Yay!

On the blog:

Aside from the plethora of lists and this year's challenges, I only managed to post about Dickens's a Christmas Carol. Don't think I'll be joining any more challenges, but there'll be more lists popping up here and there as I format them all -- or encounter new ones. Sorry, I just love lists. I've lists of lists, and also a general index of all lists referencing other lists, and really, it never ends.

Anyway. Apart from posting lists, I added several pages to this place. They're all linked in the tabs above.

Read:

  • 101 Best Jokes (nope); 
  • a Dog of Flanders (yep, more or less); I have the anime on a DVD, so I wanted to read the story before watching the film. And now I need a break, because I just know I'm going to weep when I watch the movie. (Didn't cry during the book though.)

Reading:

Finally started Catcher in the Rye, as per recommendation of one person I'm rather fond of. Currently about halfway through. At a loss of what to say about it once I'm done reading it, though. 

I was also in the mood for Jane Austen, so I picked up Northanger Abbey. Currently about 10 chapters in, and loving it, though do want to smack John Thorpe over the head with something heavy every time he mentions another horse or carriage. 

Les Miserables I've been reading for about a year now. I started reading it last January or February, as part of my Oscar watching prep, but obviously I haven't finished it in time. I'm still not even half done with the book. At this pace I'll finish it in 2016. Don't know why it's being such a slow read, because I like it.

I sees, I wants:

The following books have all caught my attention in one way or another, and have consequently been added to my ever growing 'to read' list.

  • Lolly Willowes; as I understand, it's public domain, so I'll be downloading it shortly.
  • the Machine; via a review at Curiosity Killed the Bookworm. The plot seems to hit many of my buttons, so it's on my wish list.
  • Kokoro; I have another book by Soseki Natsume on my TBR (that'd be I am a Cat), so this one might take a while to get to.
  • Cat Out of Hell; due to be released at the end of next month. I'm wary of purchasing any more books, because my Kindle overfloweth, and my paper books are triple shelved at times. But how can I ignore such a lovely title?

8 comments:

  1. Northanger Abbey was so funny. I loved that one. Looks like some good reading -- have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you too! And I just love Jane Austen. Witty and fun.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading Catcher in the Rye so much! It is still, up to this day, one of my favorite books! :) I hope you love it too :)

    Here's our It's Monday! post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catcher in the Rye is fun, but I keep thinking how I would've reacted to it differently if I read it earlier.

      Great post, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. That's why I haven't started Les Miserables--I know it will take me years and years. I love the musical so much though. I'll probably give it a try some day. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you too! I'm determined to finish Les Miserables this year, but we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. I cant imagine reading something over a year - which is why I will never start it LOL

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think it's the book's fault! Sometimes I just stall. Took me about a year to finish HP6. :-)

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete

I moderate all comments, but please rest assured that I don't censor them. The only reason your comment might go unpublished is if you're behaving like a troll.